- Lathrop High
District Response to Coronavirus COVID-19
Every school year, school nurses and staff reinforce good hygiene practices with students to minimize the impact of illnesses on a student’s education. The Fairbanks North Star Borough School District is preparing staff, students, and families for the newest respiratory pandemic illness, COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
Currently, no cases of COVID-19 have been identified in Alaska. As transmission occurs in more and more places around the world, it is increasingly likely that outbreaks will occur in Alaska. The district continues to work with the Alaska Department of Health & Social Services and the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development who are closely monitoring the current conditions globally, nationally, and in Alaska.
Families should continue the practice of maintaining healthy behaviors necessary during any cold and flu season. These include, but are not limited to:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds. If you don’t have soap and water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer that is at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face, mouth, nose, and eyes to prevent the spread of germs.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently-touched surfaces and objects, such as toys and doorknobs.
Do not send your child to school if they are feeling sick. If your child is sick, keep them home until he or she is fever-free for 24 hours without medication.
Look for future communication from your principal, district supervisor and the school district website for additional information.
For more information on COVID-19 and the district’s response, visit k12northstar.org/coronavirus.