Joy office hours are 8am-3pm. School hours are 8:10-1:10
- Please call First Student for late bus information. 456-6921
- Be sure to chedule bus pick up with transportation (if needed)
- Please make sure your student and their teacher know how your child will get home. Bus rider (provide bus #) , parent pick up.
- You must call the school to change your child's regular end of day schedule. If they usually ride a bus we will put them on the bus unless you call or send in a note to state they will be picked up that day. Calls must be in to the office by 12:30.
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
Arrival and dismissal procedures have changed this year to minimize the mixing of grade-level groups. See the map below designating entry and exit doors for students dropped off and picked up by family and students who ride the bus. We have included short videos to help explain our procedures.
Students may enter the building at 8:00 A.M. Staff are assigned at each door to let students in as all doors will remain locked. If students arrive early they will need to wait outside or on the bus until it is time to enter. If they arrive after 8:10 A.M. they will need to enter through the main entrance of the school as all staff will be in classrooms with students. School dismisses at 1:10 P.M. each day.
HELPFUL LINKS BELOW:
There will be 1st, 2nd, 3rd place prizes for each grade category. Additionally, all participants will receive a certificate of participation. Entries need to be submitted and received by 4:00 pm, Friday, March 5, 2021, to the EEO Office in the FNSBSD Administrative Center, 520 Fifth Ave. 3rd Floor, Fairbanks, AK 99701.
In celebration of Black History Month, the local National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District (FNSBSD) are proud to sponsor the Black History Month Contest - The Black Family: Representation, Identity, & Diversity—“Moving the World Forward.” We invite all K-12 students to participate in this annual contest.
This program is an opportunity for students to showcase their knowledge, encourage the study of Black History, and show excellence in creativity. We hope that this program can open dialogue to educate our students about the importance of Black History.
- Label and color three (3) pictures of African American families.
- *Pictures of notable African Americans for students to color are available from https://bit.ly/3nmPXnl
Grades 4-6: Make a poster on your interpretation of the theme.
- Grades 7-8: Submit a typed, original, 150-word essay using this year’s theme and illustrate it with your original artwork.
- Grades 9-12: Submit a typed, original, 250-word essay using this year’s theme, works cited page, and illustrate it with your original artwork.
Welcome New Joy Families!
Please enroll online at the district homepage. here
Districtwide fall registration for new elementeary students will be held August 3 & 4. We encourage online enrollment when possible. These dates are subject to change pending circumstances.
You may bring necessary documents to the school prior to school starting in August if you are unable to upload them.
Help speed up enrollment by bringing along these important forms:
(**students will not be enrolled in school without these forms)
**Birth Certificate A birth certificate is required for students entering kindergarten or first grade who haven't been enrolled in the district before.
**Proof of Immunization
**Proof of Current Physical Address Utility bills such as phone, water or electric-proof of one of these services at the home resident is required
Reminder: Students must be 5 years old on or before September 1st to enroll in Kindergarten.
OAA REQUESTS: If you do not live in the Joy attendance area and wish to have your child attend Joy K-8 you will need to enroll in your home school and submit an online application in the Lottery here. This is the FNSBSD new online lottery system. Out of Attendance Area requests will not be considered until after the first 10 days of school. Students must be enrolled in their home school for the first 10 days of school. Families will be contacted on day 11th day, if there is an opening in the requested grade level.
Congratulations Oliver Opgenorth. As part of his Digital Media Class, his teacher Mrs. Curry, helped him enter the NPR Student Podcast Challenge and he was a National Middle School Finalist. Oliver was featured on NPR Morning Edition on May 14th. If you would like to listen please click this podcast link