We strongly encourage parents and children interested in attending Chinook, to complete all steps outlined below.
- The first step in the lottery process is to visit Chinook and attend an orientation. During the orientation, you will learn about the school philosophy, how Chinook operates, and the history of the school.
- Immediately following the orientation, applicants begin the next step by touring the school to observe the classes and how they function. This is considered the visitation part of the lottery process. The visit is designed to be observational, parents and students are encouraged to walk through the classroom while refraining from interacting with the classes themselves. Visitation is a required part of the lottery process.
- After visitation, interested families fill out a lottery application to complete the requirements in the lottery process.
*Plan to spend 45-60 minutes at the school for this process.*
Orientation Dates for 2020-2021 School Year:
Tuesday, March 3, 2020, from 8:30-11:00 and 12:30-2:30
Thursday, March 26, 2020, from 8:30-11:00 and 12:30-2:30 *CANCELED*
Due to COVID-19, we have created an online application to enter out lottery for the 2020-2021 school year. Applications must be filled out by end of day April 8, 2020.
Chinook Montessori Charter School does not discriminate toward any individual as defined in District Policy 1011 nor does it require any student to attend the program. Chinook Montessori Charter School will not discriminate by race or special needs or other inappropriate criteria. No student shall be denied participation because of a learning disability, handicapping condition, or special needs.
The lottery is presided over by at least one Chinook Board member and two teachers. The drawing begins promptly at 6 p.m. on the Chinook premises. Interested members of the public are welcome.
The lottery for the 2020-2021 school year will be Wednesday, April 15th. Prior to the drawing, each family name is placed on a small slip of paper. The paper is folded and put in a bowl and stirred, slips are chosen randomly from the bowl, and then the family name is recorded in the order it was drawn.
As each family is drawn, each child is given a number. For example, Adams family: Fred Adams is #1, Sue Adams is #2 and Pat Adams is #3. Jones family: Sam Jones is #4 and Mike Jones is #5. The process continues in this manner until all the names have been drawn, and all students have numbers.
Students are then categorized according to grade level. Students are placed in numerical order on the appropriate grade list, and open positions are offered to the student accordingly
In honoring confidentiality, a published list of the entire lottery is not released.
Lottery Application for Families outside the FNSBSD
This application is exclusively for families who reside outside of the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District and whose student will be present for the 2020-2021 school year. If you are local, you need to attend one of the orientations in March.
Please call 452-5020 if you have any questions.
- Student must be present on the first day of school.
- The application must be received by April 8, 2020.
- If a student is drawn for an opening the family will attend an Orientation Meeting with a teacher to discuss expectations.
- You must supply documentation to support the fact that you live outside the FNSBSD.
Lottery Application for 2020-2021 is filled out online for all families.