Ninth and Tenth Grades
Like the Middle School, the ninth and tenth grades focus is on character and community as well as the skills needed to succeed in the larger, comprehensive high school. Ninth and tenth grades are each in self-contained learning communities staffed by four highly qualified teachers, who serve as instructors and advocates for the students. These teachers also instruct in grades 11 - 12 and rotate through the classrooms to deliver instruction. We have approximately 20 students in each classroom who receive district curriculum, but in a single classroom setting.
Primary consideration for this program is reserved for students entering their first semester of ninth or tenth grade. It is no secret in our community that only 66% of ninth graders leave ninth grade on track to earn all their credits in four years. For that reason, we work very hard to ensure that every ninth grader leaves ninth grade with six credits.
Instruction in the ninth and tenth grades stresses:
- successful completion of six high school credits by the end of the school year.
- proficiency on state mandated assessments.
- collaborative learning.
- community based activities.
- integrated learning activities.
- flexible scheduling and self direction.
- choice within the academic goal areas.
- leadership training.