Joy's K-8 Model
As part of the district strategic plan to provide more choice to students and parents, the Joy Elementary Schools may include 7th grade for the 2018-19 academic year.
Why Choose K-8 at Joy?
- STEAM Focus: Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math
- Core Subject Rotation: Allows students to work with peers at similar levels and teachers to teach in subjects of strength
- Looping: Allows students to have teachers for multiple years
- Elective Hour: Offerings consistent with the STEAM focus, offering students an opportunity to build a deeper knowledge of subjects of interest
- Extracurricular Options: Clubs, activities and sports
What a STEAM Focus Looks Like at Joy
- Science allows students to formulate questions and problem solve to discover answers. Science may include health science, environmental science, and forensics.
- Technology focused classes provide students with up-to-date information and access to technology and design. Classes may include coding, video production, and app development.
- Engineering classes offer a hands-on approach to learning and discovery for students. These classes may include robotics, housing design.
- Art allows students an outlet for expression through visual arts, journalism, dance, communication, mixed media, photography, theater, and music.
- Math is used in everyday life that can be taught through Independent Living Skills; measurements used in engineering, statistics obtained from surveys, financial projections of business plans, etc. Math will be incorporated throughout various subjects and courses.
What Personalized Learning Looks Like at Joy
Students are provided with instruction based on their personal academic needs. This allows students of various academic levels to work together as peers and at their individual level of learning.
Individual student needs are met through a focus on the Core Four: Targeted Instruction provided by the classroom teacher, Flexible Tools for differentiated path, product, and space, facilitating Student Ownership and Reflection, and making Data Driven Decisions.
The goal at Joy is to provide programs and courses that will meet the needs and interests of our students while setting high expectations of accountability for behavior and academic success.
What Guidelines for Success Look Like at Joy
CHAMPS is a framework for setting expectations to promote and maximize academic achievement and behavioral competence. We know that when good behavior and good teaching come together, our students will excel in their learning.
We believe that by providing Positive Behavior Supports (PBS), we will build a school community where all students have an environment in which they can succeed and grow.