Ladd's K-8 Model
As part of the district strategic plan to provide more choice to students and parents, Ladd Elementary School will include 7th grade and 8th grade for the 2021-2022 academic year. Use the online lottery application if you are interested in 7th or 8th grade. If you are currently attending 7th grade at Ladd, no need to reapply.
In the upcoming 2021-22 school year, both 7th and 8th grade will be offered in an innovative K-8 model.
The 7th & 8th grades at this school are open to all students in the district, but district bussing is available only for the students in the school's attendance area. The K-8 lottery process takes the place of the “out of attendance area” application for 7thand 8thgraders at this school.
Interested in enrolling? The district uses an online lottery portal to collect, verify, and process applications. (Students already attending 7th grade at this school do not need to reapply if they wish to remain at the same school for 8th grade.)
- First round lottery application period: January 21, 2021 through Friday, March 5, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
- After the first round of the lottery closes on March 5, parents will be notified of their student's enrollment and will need to confirm acceptance by March 29th at 3:30pm.
- The K-8 Options lottery enrollment portal will reopen in the spring and students will be enrolled in the order in which they are received, on a space-available basis. If enrollment reaches capacity, student names will be added to a waitlist in the order in which they are received.
- More details about the district's lottery enrollment system may be found at the Lottery Overview page.
Why Choose K-8 at Ladd?
- Building Resiliency Through Relationships
- Small School Feel With dedicated and caring staff
- Leadership Opportunities (7,8)
- Fewer school to school transitions – Increased Stability
- Rigorous & Personalized Learning Expectations
- Departmentalization in Core Content Areas (6,7,8)
- Choice in Electives (4,5,6,7,8)
- Sports available at Tanana (7,8)
- Supportive and Encouraging School Community
What Building Resilient Leaders Looks Like at Ladd
At Ladd Elementary, you will find a school that serves over 80% military connected children, as well as children from the Fairbanks community. They bring geographically diverse backgrounds, which brings a wealth of experiences and knowledge on which to build and celebrate. The following approaches help students develop as leaders and find success at Ladd: forming relationships, building resilience, providing consistency, and helping students with transitions both social-emotionally and academically.
Leopard Leaders: 7th & 8th Graders
The role of students in our Leadership Grades is vital to developing the schoolwide culture of building resilient leaders. To assist students and help to build the culture at Ladd, our Leaders will have many responsibilities. These roles will include, but are not limited to: student government/advisors, office aides (announcements, tour guides, messengers), student mentors, conflict mediators, safety patrol support, and technology assistants.
What Best Instructional Practice Looks Like at Ladd
What Guidelines for Success Look Like at Ladd
Ladd Leopard “Pawsitive” Pledge
Each morning, these guidelines for success are recited together to help all of us refocus on behavior expectations. Students learn to make wise choices and take responsibility for their actions. Staff, along with leaders in 7 & 8 grade, encourage these behaviors by handing the student a “Pawsitive” Paw, leading to entrance in the Paw Club Book, a certificate emailed home, posting on the bulletin board, and a possible reward. This is Ladd’s “Pawsitive” way of encouraging appropriate behaviors and growing society’s leaders.