About the Library
Welcome to our Husky Library!
- Our library is home to a variety of books to make all students feel included and welcome!
- The NPE Library is open for classes. Extra library times are available for teachers to take students and engage in STEAM activities, novel reading, board game exploration, and other learning ventures.
- Online browsing of the Library Collection using Destiny Discover is always available. Students can put books on hold, and have them delivered to their classroom once I have gathered them.
- Hands-on browsing is encouraged and available during classroom library time and open library hours.
- If you are an e-Learner . . . you can browse the Library Collection using Destiny Discover, put books on hold, and they will be waiting in the front entryway of the school for pick-up.
- Mrs. Donald’s typical library special consists of discussions, reading, and a comprehension or hands-on learning component. In 2023-2024, we have introduced chore teams where students work with their table mates to show pride in our shared space.
- Library books are checked out for 1 week at a time. If a student isn’t finished, just let me know if you’d like to RENEW your book. I WANT students to finish the books they love, so they won’t be tied down by a due date. There is always a way to work it out!
- Along those lines, students will be limited to how many books in a series they may check out at once and that limit will depend on the popularity of the series and the length of the novel. Transporting several 700 page books at once is literally a heavy task and often results in damage.
- A student's adult is always welcome to accompany their student to their classroom library time to work with their children on choosing good-fit-books. Adults are discouraged from interrupting lessons and story time. Please be conscious of other's learning time and right to learn.
- A student's adult is also welcome to help their children search for overdue or lost books. Places to check are:
- on home shelves
- in car
- at daycare or other homes that children spend time at after school
- under and beside beds
- in sibling rooms
- in backpacks
- in the classroom cubbies
- in classroom libraries
- even on the library shelves - sometimes classroom library helpers don't get the books to the book return bin and the books end up on the shelving cart and then back onto the shelves
- We encourage getting involved in the daily running of our library by volunteering spare time to shelve books. This helps students in the building become familiar with our volunteers, shows them that the community is invested in their learning, and helps parents learn the layout of our library and collection.
Library Media Specialist
(907) 488-2286 x 39540
library hours: 8-4pm
8:40am to 9:05am daily
11:50am to 12:20 pm daily
as well as during classes (see schedule)