Fairbanks Building Educational Success Together (BEST) is a school without walls where parents bear the primary responsibility for the management of their children’s education. BEST is committed to a framework in which the home is supported by the community as a viable educational alternative. BEST is a non-sectarian partnership between students, parents, professional staff, and community members where families and staff work together to customize an education for their children.
Fairbanks BEST will provide an alternative for families who want to teach state content and performance standards using teaching methods and materials of their choice with allotment support from the District.
Fairbanks BEST provides two options for students:Homeschool Program
- Students K-12th receive an allotment for purchasing curriculum materials of their choice that align with an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) and state Grade Level Expectations (GLE’s.)
- Students 9-12th enroll in a minimum of four courses through APEX, a fully accredited, online learning program with highly qualified and certified teachers and 24/7 technical support.
Students in both programs
- Are eligible to participate in athletics, music programs, and other extra-curricular activities at their attendance area schools according to district/state guidelines and without withdrawal from their allotment (Homeschool Program).
- May enroll in up to two classes at local district schools.
- Are assigned a certified education specialist who is knowledgeable of various curricula, courses, resources, and learning styles as well as BEST policies and FNSBSD requirements.