Changes to Outside Credit Process

  • Read carefully as the process has changed.

    Outside Credit requests are now submitted online at  Students or parents can complete this online form, which speeds up the approval process.  

    The FNSBSD has pre-approved some University of Alaska Fairbanks' (UAF) courses for high school credit. These course titles and/or numbers might change each semester, so check out the pre-approved UAF course list for the most up-to-date information. 

    See below for detailed instructions on how to submit an Outside Credit request.

Outside Credit Request Instructions

  • For pre-approved courses:

    1. Fill out the online Outside Credit request form located at This must be done before registering for the class. (A student/parent signature page is not required for pre-approved courses.)
    2. After the course is completed, turn in a transcript with the final grade to the school counselor. 

    For courses on the pre-approved list, students may register immediately after filling out the online Outside Credit form and don’t have to wait for confirmation from the district that their request is approved. If a student wishes to take a course that is not on the Pre-Approved Course list, they should follow the steps listed below.


    For all other Outside Credit requests:

    1. Fill out and sign the student/parent signature page.
    2. Fill out the online request form at
    3. Provide a link to the course syllabus on the online form or give the syllabus to your school counselor. The syllabus should include which topics are covered, materials used, assignments required, grading policy, and instructor’s name and credentials.  The syllabus can also be emailed to
    4. At the end of the online form, upload the student/parent signature page from step #1. You may also email this form to or turn it in to your school counselor.
    5. Students must wait to register for the course until after they receive confirmation from their counselor that the outside credit request is approved.  Once approved, students may register for the course with the outside vendor.
    6. After the course is completed, the student turns in the transcript with the final grade to their counselor. If an activity log was a condition placed on the course during approval, then this will need to be signed by the instructor or parent and turned into the school as well.

    If you are unable to complete the outside credit request online, a hardcopy of the form is available at your school’s counseling office. For more information, contact your school counselor or the Department of Teaching & Learning at 452-2000 ext. 11477.

Contact Information

  • T&L Home Button

Outside Credit Request

  •  Per AR 984.3, students wishing to take courses for high school credit outside of regular high school classes may do so with PRIOR administrative approval. The student must complete an Outside Credit Request; assistance is available from the school counselor. See instructions below.

    Outside Credit process requires students to get approval prior to taking an Outside Credit course.  Any requests submitted after the completion of the semester in which the request is for will not be accepted.  The exception (under AR 984.31) is that middle school students who have taken college credit prior to high school are expected to submit their applications for high school credit consideration prior to the end of the first semester of their high school career.
    If there were extenuating circumstances that prevented timely approval,  these requests need to be submitted within one semester after the completion of the course and will require the approval of the Executive Director of Teaching and Learning.

    Students who have completed 8th grade in the FNSBSD may take Outside Credit courses to count towards high school credit. Questions about outside credit may be directed to the Dept. of Teaching & Learning at 452-2000 ext. 11202.

    If NCAA eligibility is a goal of the student or parent/guardian, it is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to check if a specific course or vendor is NCAA approved.  Also, some outside credit courses may be approved for the Alaska Performance Scholarship. For more information on APS and NCAA eligible courses, please contact the school counselor.