Art Curriculum, Adopted March 7, 2017
- K-12 Art Curriculum
- Introduction to Art Curriculum
- Elements of Art
- Principles of Art
- Art Appendix- revised August 2019
- Elementary Art Curriculum (Grades K-5)
- Elementary Grade-Level Artists
- Elementary Grade-Level Artists' Bio
Elementary Art Program
The elementary art program is an unique and time-tested system of instruction and support that has evolved since the program was begun in 1981. The curriculum represents a comprehensive approach to art education and reflects the Alaska Content Standards in the Arts. This curriculum works because of the other aspects of the program, wherein teachers are trained, supported, and provided with teaching materials to assist them in providing a strong art education for their students. It is only through this multifaceted approach that we have been successful in training teachers and assuring a quality art program for our students. Included in the program is Project ARTiculate. For more information, visit www.projectarticulate.org.
The FNSBSD Art Curriculum
The Fairbanks North Star Borough School District Art Curriculum is comprised of:
- Written Curriculum - This document outlines what teachers at each grade level should strive to teach their students. The elementary written curriculum is divided into three sections according to student actions: Producing Art; Reflecting on Art Critically; and Perceiving Art from a Contemporary, Historic, and Aesthetic Perspective. These, in turn, directly reflect the Alaska State Standards expectations that all students will have some instruction in art production, historical/ contemporary studies, art criticism, and the consideration of the beauty and meaning of art.
- Art Kits - These kits are comprehensive and include the lesson plan, art reproductions, and any specific directions. They also include any esoteric materials required, but do not include easily available art materials. There are over 500 kits that may be checked out by teachers on a two week rotating basis.
- Grade-Level Artists, Their Biographies, and Some Reproductions - Every grade level has been assigned artists. These selections are updated during a curriculum rewrite. They are selected considering student age and interests; social studies themes; and a historical, multicultural, and gender-based overview. The biographies of these artists are included in the curriculum document. Artists are listed in the curriculum and on the grade-level art charts.
For information on the FNSBSD's adopted curriculum, please select from the subject areas listed below.
Curriculum adoptions are as follows:
- Art: (K-12) 2017
- Career & Technical Education (CTE): (7-12) 2013-2022
- English/Language Arts (ELA): (K-6) 2011; Learner Objectives (K-6) 2014; (7-12) 2020
- Health: (K-12) 2016
- Mathematics: (K-5) 2014; (6-12) 2022
- Music: (K-12) 2017
- Physical Education: (K-12) 2016
- Science: (K-12) 2016
- Social Studies: (K-12) 2020
- World Languages: (K-12) 2018
A list of adopted textbook and materials is located at www.k12northstar.org/Page/8838.