Review of Sample Health Textbooks
FNSBSD Administrative Center
Teaching & Learning Dept. (2nd floor)
520 Fifth Avenue, Fairbanks, AK 99701
Tuesday, May 30 - Friday, June 2
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Teaching and Learning is seeking community feedback on the following Health textbooks that are recommended for adoption:
- Grades 6-8: Health Skills for Middle School (Goodheart-Willcox)
- Grades 6-8: Human Sexuality for Middle School (Goodheart-Willcox) (Supplemental material to accompany Health Skills for Middle School.)
- Grades 9-12: Health Skills for High School (Goodheart-Willcox)
- Grades 9-12: Human Sexuality for High School (Goodheart-Willcox) (Supplemental material to accompany Health Skills for High School.)
To view these sample textbooks, visit the FNSBSD Administrative Center during the dates/times listed above.
Please note, road construction is scheduled to start on 5th Avenue at the time of the materials review. Guests to the building can park in the lot between 6th and 7th Avenue, and enter the building at the 4th Avenue entrance.
Update on the Process for K-5 ELA Materials
In the above video, Chane Beam, the executive director of the Teaching and Learning department, provides an update on the process of selecting new English Language Arts materials for grades K-5.
Curriculum Revision Process
The FNSBSD curriculum process, outlined in Administrative Regulations 910 Appendix A, is on a six-year cycle and includes the following stages: research and review, develop and define, implement, and measure-refine-revise. The research and review stage begins with community input, and a research group meets to complete an in-depth study of the current curriculum to determine its effectiveness, research current trends in curriculum content and pedagogy, and to begin developing competencies. Then, during the develop and define stage, curriculum writers review this work and start draft one. Each draft goes out for public comment and the writers review and consider all comments and suggestions. After there is a general consensus on the curriculum proposal, a final draft is submitted to the Board Curriculum Committee for a recommendation and the School Board for adoption. Once the curriculum is adopted, it is implemented in the schools, usually the next school year, and professional development is provided as needed. Finally, the curriculum enters the measure, refine, and revise stage during years four through six.
2022-23 Research & Review Stage
During the 2022-23 school year, the district will begin research and review of materials in the following content areas.
- English Language Arts (grades K-5)
- Physical Education
For information on the FNSBSD's adopted curriculum, please select from the subject areas listed below.
Curriculum adoptions are as follows:
- Art: (K-12) 2017
- Career & Technical Education (CTE): (7-12) 2013-2022
- English/Language Arts (ELA): (K-6) 2011; Learner Objectives (K-6) 2014; (7-12) 2020
- Health: (K-12) 2016
- Mathematics: (K-5) 2014; (6-12) 2022
- Music: (K-12) 2017
- Physical Education: (K-12) 2016
- Science: (K-12) 2016
- Social Studies: (K-12) 2020
- World Languages: (K-12) 2018
A list of adopted textbook and materials is located at www.k12northstar.org/Page/8838.
Chane BeamExecutive Director of Teaching & Learning(907) 452-2000, x11263
Curriculum Coordinator (Elementary Schools)
(907) 452-2000, x11419
Curriculum Coordinator (Secondary Schools)
(907) 452-2000, x11477
Materials Development Specialist
(907) 452-2000, x11421