You be the Chemist Challenge
2023 You be the Chemist Challenge
(Competition date is selected during team registration.)
You be the Chemist Challenge is a free competition for grades 5-8 that celebrates chemistry and elevates STEM careers.
For more information, visit:
- Rules for You be the Chemist Challenge
- Study materials
- Participation Agreement
- Student Teams Template
- Chemical Education Foundation website at https://www.chemed.org/programs/challenge/.
- Alaska Website - You Be the Chemist Challenge at https://www.chemed.org/state/alaska/.
- Previous state winners
Each student takes a multiple-choice Challenge Qualifier test in their classroom, and the team members' answers are averaged to determine the team's score.
Brenntag Pacific, Inc. sponsors the FNSB competition. Qualifying teams compete and collaboratively answer timed, short-answer questions. The winning team moves on to the national level.
State winners and national finalists are announced in May.
June 5-7, 2022
The National Challenge is held in-person in Houston, TX.
Qualifying teams create a video exploring the role of chemistry in their community. These videos are evaluated by a panel of judges, and the top video from each state is recognized on the Chemical Education Foundation website. The top 10 teams attend the national showcase in Houston, Texas.
Team Coordinator - Instructions for Competition:
- Review the Challenge cycle and corresponding information on our website
- Register for the Challenge
- Review the official rules, video guidelines, and video rubric and storyboard template with your team(s)
- Provide your team(s) with Challenge study materials.
- Collect signed participant agreements from all team members
- Complete team registration and submit participant agreements once you know team compositions and you have completed participant agreements from ALL team members