2020-21 National Geography Bee
This event proceeding as planned is dependent on state and district guidelines regarding school closure due to COVID-19. Please check this website often for the most up-to-date information or contact the event coordinator listed on this page.
Each year, thousands of schools in the United States participate in the National Geographic Bee using materials prepared by the National Geographic Society. The contest is designed to encourage teachers to include geography in their classrooms, spark student interest in the subject, and increase public awareness about geography. Schools with students in grades 4-8 are eligible for this entertaining and challenging test of geographic knowledge.
Beginning fall 2020, the National Geographic GeoBee is moving to a new model to streamline and modernize the competition to provide more flexibility, accessibility, and engagement while also creating a more equitable opportunity for all students.
New this year:
- The option to administer the school-level GeoBee competition online for schools practicing distance learning.
- All state-level GeoBee competitions will now be administered online.
- All school-level champions will have the opportunity to participate in the online state-level GeoBee competition.
- Registration is now free for schoolwide Title I schools, which will automatically be applied during the registration process.
- Registered schools will receive a suite of curated study resources to help students prepare for the competition and more than 400 school-level GeoBee questions, participation certificates for all students, achievement certificates for the top 3 students, and a medal for the student who earns first place.
Register your school for the National Geographic GeoBee today at https://geobee-registration.nationalgeographic.org. ($20 fee discount if registeration completed by October 1, 2020.)
2020-21 National Geographic GeoBee Key Dates:
- August 3, 2020 - Registration opens
- October 1, 2020 - School GeoBee materials available to download
- October 1, 2020 - February 1, 2021 - School GeoBees held; date and time determined locally (schools may hold virtual events)
- December 18, 2020 - Registration by check closes
- December 19, 2020 - January 22, 2021 - Registration limited to credit card transactions
- January 22, 2021 - Last day for School GeoBee registration
- February 1-12, 2021 - Deadline for completion of online State GeoBee qualifying test
- March 5, 2021 - State GeoBee qualifiers announced on NatGeoBee.org/results (up to 100 per state)
- April 9, 2021 - Announcement of top 3 students in each state (NatGeoBee.org/results)
- Spring 2021 - National Championship held (details TBD)
At this time, students are responsible for their travel expenses to the state/national competitions. We are currently seeking sponsors. If you are interested in sponsoring this event and students' travel, please contact Michelle Daml at 452-2000 ext. 11419.