2020 National Geography Bee
Each year, thousands of schools in the United States participate in the National Geographic Bee using materials prepared by the National Geographic Society. The contest is designed to encourage teachers to include geography in their classrooms, spark student interest in the subject, and increase public awareness about geography. Schools with students in grades 4-8 are eligible for this entertaining and challenging test of geographic knowledge.
The State Geography Bee is cancelled. Registrations closed on January 24, 2020. Please contact Michelle Daml, Curriculum Coordinator, for more information.
At this time, students are responsible for their travel expenses to the state/national competitions. We are currently seeking sponsors. If you are interested in sponsoring this event and students' travel, please contact Michelle Daml at 452-2000 ext. 11419.
2020 National Geographic GeoBee Key Dates:
- August 1, 2019 - Registration opens
- October 1, 2019 - School GeoBee materials available to download
- October 1, 2019 - February 7, 2020 - School GeoBees held; date and time determined locally
- December 20, 2019 - Registration by check closes
- December 21, 2019 - January 25, 2020 - Registration limited to credit card transactions
- January 24, 2020 - Last day for School GeoBee registration
- February 7, 2020 - Deadline for completion of online State GeoBee qualifying test
- March 2, 2020 - State GeoBee qualifiers announced on NatGeoBee.org/results
- March 27, 2020 - State GeoBee in Anchorage. This event is cancelled.
- Spring 2020 - National Championship held