Teachers who need to renew their certification or need to complete classes to receive their Alaska Teaching Licence can find all information on the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development website.
For recertification, there is also an option to use Alaska Department of Education's E-Learning site - http://education.alaska.gov/ELEARNING/. This site offers several courses, ranging from one hour to six hours. To received a certificate, 15 hours of work must be completed. These course are free and each teacher can take maximum of two continuing education credits (CEUs). More information can be found on the DEED site.
Teachers who need to take an Alaska Studies course and Multicultural course, can find the list of approved courses on the Alaska Department of Education website, under Certification Requirements.
Teachers can take required classes via distance learning offered by Alaska Staff Development Network (ASDN), UAF eCampus or take a district sponsored "Alaska Studies and Culturally Responsive Teaching" class at the cost of $179.
If a teacher needs to take a PRAXIS Test, the district will pay for its cost.
A) During the school year:
1) When you are going to register and pay, please use a school p-card that you will check out from the secretary. Please avoid using your personal credit card.
2) Print the receipt and return it together with the p-card to the school secretary.
3) Email a copy of the receipt to Flora Roddy in the Teaching and Learning Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
B) During summer break:
1) To register and pay, please call the Teaching and Learning Department (Flora Roddy – 11422, or Alica Unruh – 11424) to get a p-card.
2) Email a copy of the receipt to Flora Roddy at email@example.com.
In case a teacher does not pass his/her first attempt, the district will cover every consecutive test.