New K-8 Options
Starting in the upcoming 2019-20 school year, both 7th and 8th grade will be offered in an innovative K-8 model at Arctic Light, Joy, and Ladd. These three formerly K-6 elementary schools offered 7th grade for the first time in the 2018-19 school year.
The 7th & 8th grades at these schools are open to all students in the district, but district bussing is available only for the students in each school's attendance area. The K-8 lottery process takes the place of the “out of attendance area” application for 7thand 8thgraders at these three schools.
Interested in enrolling? The district uses an online lottery portal to collect, verify, and process applications for students in 7th or 8th grade at Arctic Light, Joy, and Ladd. (Students already attending 7th grade at one of these schools do not need to reapply if they wish to remain at the same school for 8th grade.)
- First round lottery application period: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 9 a.m. through Friday, March 8, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
- After the first round of the lottery closes on March 8, parents will be notified of their student's enrollment status by April 2, 2019.
- The K-8 Options lottery enrollment portal will reopen on April 3, 2019 and students will be seated in the order in which they are received, on a space-available basis. If enrollment reaches capacity, student names will be added to a waitlist in the order in which they are received.
- More details about the district's lottery enrollment system may be found at the Lottery Overview page.
Interested in learning more about K-8 options for your student?
Coming soon! VIRTUAL TOUR of all three new K-8 schools!
Click on the links below to find out more about each school.
Arctic Light Elementary
Arctic Light's K-8 model meets the needs unique to our military family students on Fort Wainwright. In addition to core-subject instruction, taught by a homeroom teacher, students delve into STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) topics through electives. Academic small-group intervention is pushed into all classrooms to ensure student progress and success. Learn more about Arctic Light's K-8 model or read Arctic Light's K-8 brochure.
K-8 at Joy Elementary looks like:
- STEAM Focus: Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math
- Core Subject Rotation: Allows students to work with peers at similar levels and teachers to teach in subjects of strength
- Looping: Allows students to have teachers for multiple years
- Elective Hour: Offerings consistent with the STEAM focus, offering students an opportunity to build a deeper knowledge of subjects of interest
- Extracurricular Options: Clubs, activities and sports
K-8 at Ladd Elementary looks like:
- Building resiliency through relationships
- Small school feel with dedicated and caring staff
- Leadership opportunities (7,8)
- Fewer school to school transitions – increased stability
- Rigorous and personalized learning expectations
- Departmentalization in core content areas (6,7,8)
- Choice in electives (4,5,6,7,8)
- Sports available at Tanana (7,8)