Become a Volunteer or Partner
Volunteers help foster strong school/community relationships by creating shared ownership in the success of our schools, as well as demonstrating the importance of community service to our students. The school district’s volunteer process is governed by Policy and AR 1152: Community Participation in District Programs – Volunteers in the Schools.
Three Ways To Get Involved
There are three ways you can support your community's students through the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District. Please carefully read through these three options and choose the best fit for you!
Mentors and volunteers are individuals who donate their time to schools and school district departments to assist with activities that enhance instruction, promote learning, and provide support to students and staff. All MVPs must fill out the Volunteer Interest Survey.
Examples of Mentor & Volunteer Activities
- Provide learning support as a tutor, mentor, or classroom speaker
- Be a lunch buddy for an at-risk student
- Help with secretarial duties in a school or department
- Help organize classroom events
- Chaperone field trips
- Help with special school and districtwide events such as Spelling Bee and Science Fair
#2 Partners in Education Matching
Partners In Education are groups of volunteers or donors that are associated with an organization. They have a designated point of contact that develops a relationship and they provide support to students and staff on an ongoing basis. All PIEs must fill out the Volunteer Interest Survey.
Examples of Partnership in Action
- Sponsor school activities with a financial contribution
- Offer paid release time for employees to volunteer
- Provide students with internships or job shadowing opportunities
- Organize a food pantry or school supply drive
- Send staff to be mentors, tutors, or guest speakers
- Support end of semester student recognition programs