Basic Chromebook Troubleshooting
Here are some quick things to try on Chromebooks (before calling the help desk at extension 11397).
Helpful keyboard shortcuts
- Reset screen resolution to default: Ctrl + Shift + 0
- Rotate screen 90 degrees: Ctrl + Shift + Refresh
- Toggle high-contrast mode: Ctrl + Search + h
- Switch between the keyboard languages you've set: Ctrl + Shift + Space
- See all keyboard shortcuts: Press Ctrl + Alt + / (forward slash)
- Power/other various issues: Refresh + Power (this will immediately restart the device)
How to update Chrome OS
In order for standardized testing software to run, Chrome OS needs to be updated. It will do it automatically eventually, but to perform it manually:
- Log in to the Chromebook
- Click the clock in the bottom-right corner
- Click the gear icon
- Click About Chrome OS
- Click Check for updates
The update takes about 7 minutes.
How to reset a student profile
If a student is getting popups or other unwanted settings, you can try this.
- Log in with the student account
- Click in the bottom right area (clock/wireless/battery/profile picture)
- Click the settings gear
- Scroll down and click Show advanced settings...
- Scroll down again and click Reset settings, then Reset
- Log out to sync the changes.