Arctic Light's K-8 Model
As part of the district strategic plan to provide more choice to students and parents, the Arctic Light Elementary School will include the 7th and 8th grade for the 2019-20 academic year.
New 2019 K-8 Options
Starting in the upcoming 2019-20 school year, both 7th and 8th grade will be offered in an innovative K-8 model.
The 7th & 8th grades at this school are open to all students in the district, but district bussing is available only for the students in the school's attendance area. The K-8 lottery process takes the place of the “out of attendance area” application for 7thand 8thgraders at this school.
Interested in enrolling? The district uses an online lottery portal to collect, verify, and process applications. (Students already attending 7th grade at this school do not need to reapply if they wish to remain at the same school for 8th grade.)
- First round lottery application period: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 9 a.m. through Friday, March 8, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
- After the first round of the lottery closes on March 8, parents will be notified of their student's enrollment status by April 2, 2019.
- The K-8 Options lottery enrollment portal will reopen on April 3, 2019 and students will be enrolled in the order in which they are received, on a space-available basis. If enrollment reaches capacity, student names will be added to a waitlist in the order in which they are received.
- More details about the district's lottery enrollment system may be found at the Lottery Overview page.
Why Choose K-8 at Arctic Light?
- Convenient Location - on Fort Wainwright next to SAC and Youth Center
- No Pullouts during Core Instruction - no loss due to extra curricular choices
- Sports available at Tanana - for 7th & 8th
- Choice in Electives- for 4th - 7th
- Fewer School Transitions - stay at one school
- Three Campuses - Our three Campuses maintain integrity for each age of student.
- Primary- Grades K-3
- Intermediate- 4-5
- Middle- 6-8
What a STEAM Focus Looks Like at Arctic Light
Arctic Light's K-8 model meets the needs unique to our military family students on Fort Wainwright. In addition to core-subject instruction, taught by a homeroom teacher, students delve into STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) topics through electives. Academic small-group intervention is pushed into all classrooms to ensure student progress and success.
Our use of targeted tutoring and flexible content supports individualized academic programs as students learn in classrooms supported by personalized learning models. Parent and community involvement is enhanced through our strong family events and thematic explorations using community expert volunteers.
What Personalized Learning Looks Like at Arctic Light
Arctic Light Elementary School, located in the center of a rich, distinctly Alaskan environment, is the heart of a diverse military community and serves the children of America’s Arctic Warriors. Our mission is to facilitate the growth of students into knowledgeable, self-sufficient, caring citizens, capable of navigating in a global society. Through discovery and exploration, students will participate in developmentally appropriate experiences in a safe environment of unconditional respect for others and uncompromising commitment to excellence and challenge.
Arctic Light students are provided instruction based on their personal academic needs. For example, students functioning above or below grade level, in their core subject areas, will have their needs met through flexible content, targeted tutoring and walk-to classes. For our Middle School students, grades 4-8, choice in their elective classes allows for a personalized approach to learning.
What Guidelines for Success Look Like at Arctic Light
Foxes Have Heart
Always do my best
Respect myself and others
Care about others
Think before acting
Ignite a love of learning
Arctic Light students are successful because of our positive and proactive approach to education. Classes work towards school-wide CHAMPS goals to earn celebrations. Individually, students work for PAWS-itive and BUG Club rewards through academic and behavior achievement.