We are now accepting applications for the 23-24 school year. All students interested should apply. Those currently in Innovations must re-apply every year.
Innovations is a districtwide program. Any high school student in the district may apply.
Innovations Academy was created to provide students a different pathway to completing their graduation requirements. Our goal is to create a community that meets the educational needs and unique learning styles of our students and re-engages students through a personalized approach to learning.
What Innovations offers our students:
- Small class sizes (20:1 student: teacher ratio)
- Self-paced classes
- Blended learning model (blend of online and face-to-face learning experiences)
- Credit recovery options
- Social/emotional supports
- Student choice in content delivery and assessment
- Individual weekly meeting with mentor teacher for student reflection and goal setting
- Involvement in community-based projects, life skills lessons and wellness practices
For the 2023-2024 school year, innovations will follow the same schedule as Lathrop High School.
Each student is assigned a mentor teacher at Innovations Academy who they are required to meet with weekly. Mentor teachers work with students on setting daily and weekly goals and working through barriers to learning. Mentor teachers communicate regularly with parents/guardians.
What to Expect:
- Students will meet in their scheduled classes throughout the week. Students must follow their set schedule.
- Focus of course content will be on competency: students work independently and are expected to complete 6 or more classes each semester. Students must make steady progress to remain in the program.
- A variety of learning methods will be used including digital coursework, small group work, team work, and individualized instruction.
- There is no daily homework (students can take work home if they wish to work at a faster pace).
- No zeroes are entered in the gradebook.
- Assignments and attendance will be entered in Powerschool so that students and families can be continually informed of progress.
- Students have the opportunity to complete classes at an accelerated pace by working diligently and demonstrating mastery of key course competencies.
- Each student is assigned a mentor teacher. At weekly mentor meetings, mentors help students set learning goals and reflect on course progress.
- There are limited elective options available through Innovations. There is an opportunity for accessing Lathrop or eLearning electives on a case by case basis.
- All students will be assigned a Chromebook to use for online portions of instruction.
- Cell phones are a proven distraction in classrooms. Students are expected to follow cell phone policies in each Innovations classroom.
How do I get into the program?
Innovations cap their enrollment at 80 students each year. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors will be considered first for the program. We generally do not start Freshmen in Innovations but realize there are unique circumstances.
Questions? Call Lathrop and speak with a counselor, Principal Hecht, or Asst. Principal Eberhardt.