Welcome New Families to the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District!
NEW STUDENTS ONLY: Register your children (Kindergarten-12th grade) online for the start school in the Fall of the 2019-2020 school year!
The new school will need the following documents:
- Birth Certificate: Required for students entering kindergarten or first grade who has not been enrolled in the district before
- Proof of Immunization: Current Shot Records
- Transcripts or Report Cards: Helps with class placement
- Proof of Current Physical Address: Housing letter or utility bills (i.e. water or electric)
Immunizations Information: https://www.k12northstar.org/Page/1999
- TB Screenings: If you answer yes to any of the questions found at this link: http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Pages/tb.aspx, then your child(ren) will have to get a TB Skin test.
- TB Screening Frequently Asked Questions link:
School Supplies: https://www.k12northstar.org/backtoschool
Nutrition Services: https://www.k12northstar.org/nutrition
FNSBSD schools that serve Eielson AFB military housing areas:
FNSBSD schools that serve Fort Wainwright military housing areas:
Arctic Light Elementary School (K-7 grades) serves Bear Paw, Gertsch Heights, Northern Lights, and Southern Cross housing areas.
Hunter Elementary School (K-6 grades) serves Tanana Trails and post-Holiday Inn Express* housing areas.
Ladd Elementary School (K-7 grades) serves Chena Bend, Denali Village, North Town, and Siku Basin housing areas.
* If your family currently resides at the post-Holiday Inn Express, please understand that your child must transfer to the attendance area school once you move into permanent housing. The school district will not provide transportation from the new housing location to Hunter Elementary once a new housing assignment is made.
Out-of-Attendance Option - North Pole Military or Civilian Families
Below are the out-of-attendance area criteria for families living in the Midnight Sun, North Pole Elementary and Ticasuk Brown attendance areas but have parents who work on Eielson Air Force Base, including Air National Guard and civilian employees who report to work on base.
Students currently enrolled Eielson AFB elementary schools
- Families who do not live on Eielson Air Force Base but work on the base can stay at Eielson schools as an out-of-attendance area student. This includes Air National Guard and civilian employees who report to work on Eielson.
- An Out-of-Attendance Area form must be filled out each year and submitted to the school.
Newly enrolling families or families who live in the Midnight Sun, North Pole Elementary, and Ticasuk Brown attendance area and work on Eielson
- Students can enroll as an out-of-attendance-area student at Eielson schools.
- Out-of-Attendance Area form must be filled out each year and submitted to the school.
- Show proof of working on base (Example: Base access ID card).
Families with parents working on Eielson AFB but not living in the Midnight Sun, North Pole Elementary or Ticasuk Brown attendance areas
- Will attend their neighborhood school.
- May attend an Eielson AFB school by submitting an application for their student in the online Out-of-Attendance Area (OAA) lottery for that school.
If selected, student may attend the school of choice. Notification of selection occurs in the fall.
This process does not affect the attendance areas for Moose Creek and Salcha families or students who wish to attend Ben Eielson Jr/Sr High School. If you have questions, please contact your Eielson school principal.
Anderson Elementary (Kindergarten-2nd grades)
Crawford Elementary (3rd-6thgrades)
Ben Eielson Jr/Sr High School (7th-12thgrades)
School transportation will not be provided.
Fairbanks North Star Borough School District has many schools: Elementary, Secondary and Schools of Choice. Check them out!
Attending a school outside of your area of attendance:
If you live in a certain out of attendance area and wish to attend another school in the district, you are welcome to check out the Frequently Asked Questions link for Out of Area Attendance.