Greetings CEC students and families!
For new students and families, we welcome you. To those returning, welcome back.
As we start the school year, the staff at CEC would like to share some information that will hopefully help make this semester successful for everyone.
We do things a little differently at CEC, and while we feel this makes all the difference in the success of our students, we know that getting to know how we do things at CEC can be a little difficult.
Below are a few of the significant differences at CEC and a little advice on how you can navigate the school year. On the back of this sheet, you will find greater detail on our attendance policy, which we have been highlighting with students this week.
Classes at CEC
- Students take four classes at a time at CEC, and the classes are designed to be completed in about 10 weeks. There are no assigned due dates or penalties for late work, and there are no quarter or semester deadlines. Students at CEC start and finish classes at all different times.
- All work must be completed at a C or better in order for a student to progress in a class. Students at CEC do not accumulate zeroes, do not have failing grades, and cannot fail a class & lose the progress they have made during the school year.
- If you would like to know how your student is doing at CEC, ask them about the Flowchart. Maybe have them snap a picture of it with their phone.
Attendance at CEC
- CEC is open from 7:30am to 4:00pm, and students can attend a 4-hour block in the morning or in the afternoon. Students can get a lot of work done in four hours, and the schedule frees up time for a job, a volunteer opportunity, or family responsibilities.
- If students have difficulty attending regularly for the full block, CEC staff will work with them to craft a plan to make progress in every class.
- Excused absences are in PowerSchool. If you want more detailed attendance information, ask your student about our check-in iPad, which uses an app called TimeStation.
Hopefully, this information will help everyone have a successful start to the school year. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact us!
CEC Attendance Policy
We are not a correspondence program, and regular attendance is expected. We will always work with students to help improve attendance.
- Students are responsible for clocking in and out, and attendance is recorded in PowerSchool daily.
- A student must be clocked in for at least 60 minutes to be considered “present” for the day.
- Automated contact will be sent out each evening for unexcused absences. All absences are recorded in PowerSchool daily, and additional attendance reports may be requested.
- A student who misses 5 consecutive days, excused or unexcused, will be contacted by staff.
- A student who misses 10 consecutive days, excused or unexcused, is automatically dropped.
- Students, parents, or guardians may contact the school to excuse absences within 48 hours for the following reasons:
- Transportation difficulties
- Unplanned employment, family, or legal commitments.
- Students who cannot attend regularly for any of the above reasons may meet with staff to draft an alternative attendance schedule.