Poverty is a big issue for many of our students. It is hard for students to succeed in school when they are hungry.
There are thousands of students in our schools who qualify for free or reduced-price breakfasts and lunches at school. For some, school meals are the only meals they consistently receive, meaning they may be going hungry on the weekends and holidays.
We have begun to establish school pantries and our dream is to have a fully stocked pantry in each school to help provide students the opportunity to bring home a bag of kid-friendly food for the days they’re not in school.
Pantry Projects in schools helps meet this need.
- Food: Costs are about $200/year per student. Partners usually conduct food drives to offset or eliminate costs. A quarterly food drive can support a whole school’s needs if enough people participate!
- A designated person to organize a food drive and collect or purchase the food on a weekly, monthly, or quarterly basis
- A room to store the food in until it can be delivered– some schools have more space available than others to store the nonperishable food
- A delivery person and vehicle to take the donated food items to the school on a monthly or as-needed basis
Pantry Project in Action
Anne Wien Elementary Principal Michael Angaiak and 2nd Lt. Marynell Dwyer of the 25th Brigade Support Battalion Alpha Company. Dwyer's company members are donating the food items needed to support the Pantry Project at Anne Wien.
Recognition of Partners in Education does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement by the school district.
Items should be non-perishable, something that small kids can easily open and heat in a microwave, and that can be consumed in one serving.
- Individual size Chef Boyardee
- Campbell soup with pull tabs
- Shelf-stable Hormel entrees
- Individual packets of tuna salad
- Individual chicken salad packs
- Fruit cups in juice
- Cheese or peanut butter crackers
- Beef jerky/meat sticks
- Applesauce cups
- Granola or cereal bars
- Dried fruit
- Oatmeal or cereal cups
- Pudding cups
- 100% juice boxes
- Individual shelf-stable milk
- Capri Suns
Executive Director of Communications, Development, & Engagement
(907) 452-2000 x11464
Assistant Director of Grants & Partnerships
(907) 452-2000 x11225
Grants and Partnerships Specialist
(907) 452-2000 x11257
Business Partnership Development Intern
Grants, Resources, & Strategic
Admin Ctr., 2nd Fl., Suite B
520 5th Ave. Fairbanks, AK 99701
Fax: (907) 328-0899