• How are needs identified?

    • Survey of parents, teachers and secondary Native students
    • A review of testing and attendance data
    • Community input
    • An analysis of the previous year's program

    How is the Native Education Program funded?

    Completed ED 506 forms that include proof of enrollment help generate funds so we can provide supplemental services to Native children. The ED 506 form is a federal form that certifies student eligibility for the Title VII, Native Education Program. If you, your child or his/her grandparents are an enrolled member of an American Indian Tribe or Alaska Native Group, then your child may be eligible to be enrolled in the Title VII, Indian Education Program.

    A program plan will be developed each year and submitted for funding.

    What services does the Native Education Program provide?

    • Academic tutoring
    • Family Advocacy
    • Leadership Development
    • Graduation Success / Attendance Liaison
    • Cultural enrichment activities and gatherings
    • Native Youth Olympics

    Services we envision for the future:

    • Native language studies: Koyukun, Gwich'in
    • Counseling
    • Career and post secondary training exploration

    Am I eligible?

    Are you or your child or his/her grandparent an enrolled member of an American Indian Tribe or Alaska Native Group? If so, your child may be eligible to be enrolled in the title VII Indian Education Program.

    The purpose of Title VII Indian Education is to support schools as they provide opportunities for Native students to meet and exceed the state academic standards.

    For eligibility purposes, an Indian is defined as any individual who is:

    1. a member (as defined by the Indian tribe or band) of an Indian tribe or band, including those Indian tribes or bands terminated since 1940, and those recognized by the State in which the tribe or band resides: or
    2. a descendant in the first person or second degree (parent or grandparent) as described in (1); or
    3. considered by the Secretary of the Interior to be an Indian for any purpose; or
    4. an Eskimo or Aleut or other Alaska Native; or
    5. a member of an organized Indian group that received a grant under the Indian Education Act of 1988 as it was in effect October 19, 1944.

    If you feel you meet these requirements, please contact the ANE Department at (907) 452-2000 extension 11468 for assistance.

    What support is provided for FNSBSD personnel?

    Continuing education courses through UAF are offered by the ANE Program Director.

    Classes, offered through the Association of Interior Native Educators or University of Alaska Fairbanks for credit, are one way we reach teachers with new materials and information. Title VII, Indian Education, staff members are also available to speak at teacher meetings, staff trainings and other gatherings.

    Elders and cultural experts are available to come into schools and classrooms to give presentations and speak with students. Please contact the Alaska Native Education office at (907) 452-2000 extension 11468 for more details.

    The FNSBSD Library Media Services also provides an extensive amount of kits on many different Alaska Native cultures. Please visit the Library Media Services to access the kits. 

Last Modified on February 1, 2021