Military Family Information
The Fairbanks North Star Borough is home to two military installations — Fort Wainwright Army Post and Eielson Air Force Base.
As a school district, we know that children of military families have unique needs at home and school and we work diligently to meet those needs.
2017-18 Registration Info (Fort Wainwright)
Registration will take place on August 3-4, 2017 at all elementary schools. School locations and registration times:
Arctic Light Elementary School
4176 Neely Road, Fort Wainwright
0900 – 1500
Housing area: Bear Paw, Gertsch Heights, Northern Lights, and Southern Cross
Hunter Elementary School
1630 Gillam Way, Fairbanks
0900 – 1530
Housing area: Tanana Trails and IGH Army Hotel*
Ladd Elementary School
601 F Street, Fairbanks
0900 – 1530
Housing area: Chena Bend, Denali Village, North Town, and Siku Basin
* If your family currently resides at the IGH Hotel, please understand that your child must transfer to the attendance area school once you move into permanent housing. The school district will not provide transportation from the new housing location to Hunter Elementary once a new housing assignment is made.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I live on Ft. Wainwright, which schools will my children attend?
Elementary students living on Ft. Wainwright attend Arctic Light Elementary, Hunter Elementary, or Ladd Elementary. Students in 7th or 8th grade attend Tanana Middle, while 9-12 graders attend Lathrop High. All these schools, with the exception of Arctic Light, also have a large civilian student population.
Can our family live off base or post and still attend school on Ft. Wainwright or Eielson AFB?
If you plan to live off base or post, you will need to enroll your student in their area school first (Find your school!) and then you can make an out-of-attendance area request. Students who attend school outside of their attendance area must provide their own transportation and there must be space available in the desired class.
Is it difficult to transfer into Fairbanks public schools from elsewhere?
Our district is accustomed to students transferring in and out and we make every effort to ensure a smooth transition. Schools that serve our military community are especially adept at welcoming new students and have special programs in place to help.
If I live on Eielson AFB, which schools will my children attend?
Military Child Compact
In accordance with the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children, which became law in Alaska on May 16, 2009, and School Board Policy 1021.2 B.2., the school district will enroll in kindergarten children of military families who are under school age as of September 1 when the school district verifies all of the following:
- The child was registered in, attended and completed a pre-kindergarten program.
- The pre-kindergarten was a program at a public school district.
- The child resided in the state in which the sending school district was located.
- The child meets the age requirement for kindergarten entry of the sending state.