Star of the North Secondary is a public school of choice. Students may enter at any point in their secondary schooling if: 1) there is a vacancy in the appropriate grade level; 2) they and their parents or guardians agree to meet the contractual standards set out by the Academic Policy Committee; and 3) they meet the qualifications for the individual program.
- All students who are eligible to attend seventh through twelfth grade in Fairbanks North Star Borough schools are eligible for admission to Star of the North Secondary in North Pole.
- Siblings of current students will be given priority consideration.
- Students who are currently suspended, expelled or excluded from FNSBSD schools will be considered for admission when their disciplinary action has been resolved.
- Star of the North Secondary-North Pole Campus will enroll no more than 100 students. Enrollment will be based on: a) forty middle school students; b) twenty ninth grade students; c) forty additional high school students.
- Should the applications in any House exceed the enrollment limit, Star of the North Secondary will:
a) determine whether enrollment limits in each group can be effectively adjusted to meet demand; and
b) select applicants through a random drawing conducted during the first week of the school year. Applicants will remain on a waiting list until an opening is available.
- Once a student is enrolled at Star of the North Secondary, he or she will have continued enrollment status unless it is determined that there has been a violation of the enrollment contract.
All students interested in attending Star of the North Secondary must complete an application to determine potential placement. Applicants meeting the enrollment criteria will then be scheduled for an interview which will include an examination of the applicant’s academic history and feelings about school, a discussion about the expectations of the school, determination of eligibility and agreement to the Student Contract. Repeated violation of the contract will require the student to return to his or her district attendance area school.
Students will be matched with a mentor teacher who will work with him or her to design a course of study at the school.
Other options in the Fairbanks School District include four traditional high schools, four traditional junior high schools, one vocational high school, one magnet charter school, two charter schools that include a middle school program, and another charter school that includes middle school and high school.
If Star of the North sounds like the school for you:
- Review our Student Handbook;
- Print and complete the appropriate application. It is important that the application is personally completed by the student.
- Return it to us as soon as possible. We'd love to meet you!