SchoolCafé Free & Reduced Meal Application
Hello FNSBSD Families, Friends, Staff and Community!
Nutrition Services has made it easier for families to apply for free or reduced priced meals. We encourage you to apply online anytime using an Internet enabled computer or with the Smartphone app. You can complete and submit an application in minutes!
The online application is now integrated with Schoolcafé, the online payment website. SchoolCafé eligibility adds additional integration for those parents who already use SchoolCafé, Students already identified can easily be added to an application. This means more accurate applications.
Application and Notification History
SchoolCafé Eligibility provides parents the ability to maintain access to prior applications. When you generate notification letters, they will also appear in SchoolCafé for parents to view and print at any time. This means parents have access to the documents they need and will no longer have to ask for copies.
No computer? No problem! SchoolCafé is built for easy viewing on mobile devices. It feels like an app without an extra download resulting in fewer incomplete paper applications and more accessibility for parents.
Online applications are currently available in English, Spanish, Chinese and Vietnamese.
SchoolCafé online application benefits:
- More expedient application processing turnaround time
- Results in less out-of-pocket meal costs for families waiting for application processing
- You no longer have to print, reprint, or distribute applications
- Lost or misplaced applications are a thing of the past
- No more couriering applications from schools or other site locations to nutrition services
- Online entry can help with potential language barriers (available in English and Spanish)
- School staff, nutrition services staff, central office staff - all save time and resources
- Increase in program participation
- Green technology
- Reduced operational costs all around
- Safe, secure and confidential
- Apply online anytime using an internet-enabled computer
Each new school year brings 1,000 of applications for the free and reduced meal program. Historically, these applications were processed, one-by-one by nutrition services administrative staff. Each application is reviewed for accuracy and completeness. Many of the submitted applications require individual telephone calls by our staff to the applicant as a result of missing, incorrect or incomplete information causing a delay in determining benefits for a child. Our goal is to provide those benefits to our qualified students as soon as possible!
Information required for the online application is the same as the paper application. Gather the following to apply online:
- Listing of all household members
- Total household size
- Income for all household members (determine the frequency of payment)
- Student Name(s)
- Student Birthdate(s) (helpful but not required)
- Student FNSBSD identification number (helpful but not required)
- Student Official Enrolled School (helpful but not required)
- Student ID (helpful but not required)
You may obtain the application from your school, our administrative office at 1305 Charles Street, or download the application, print it, complete the information, sign and return the form to your student's school or to the Nutrition Services Center at 1305 Charles Street. Paper applications take longer to process.
A new application must be completed each school year! We cannot process applications completed on outdated forms. Please be sure your application form states the current school year. Failure to do so will delay the processing of your application.
Applications completed by hand are scanned for processing. Please use black or dark blue ink and follow application instructions. Allow up to ten days for processing from the time your application is received at the Nutrition Services Center.
Faxed OR photocopied applications are not accepted. If you need assistance with this form, call (907) 451-1004 x16601 or email email@example.com. Please feel free to provide us feedback so we may better serve your needs.
Click here for Guidelines on Military Income LES Codes. What do I count as income?
You may print the application in PDF form and complete the application by hand. We encourage you to apply online for faster and more efficient processing.
You may print the PDF form for instructions on completing a paper application and frequently asked questions regarding the application process.
Nutrition Services Center1305 Charles StreetFairbanks AK 99701Deborah L. Krier
Administrative Secretary (9/10 month)
Nutrition Services Supervisor
Helena L. Schreder
Assistant Director of Nutrition Services
Amy C. Rouse
Director of Nutrition Services
Deborah J. Marcos
Secretary (9/10 month)