Substitute Teachers & Temporary Employees
last updated 12/04/2017
*Employment with the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. *
If you have 48 or more college credit hours, you can be a substitute teacher. Subbing for teachers is paid at $18.00 per hour ($20.00 per hour for Alaska State certified teachers).
If you have 0 to 48 college credit hours, you can be a substitute for support staff. Subbing for support staff ranges in pay from minimum wage to $15.00 per hour.
Hiring Process for Substitute Teachers and Temporary Employees***
- Complete an employment application (Subs: Job ID #4591 Temps: Job ID #4440)
- Attach your college transcripts (if applying to be a substitute teacher)
- You must provide at least three professional references, two of whom must be supervisors. Please provide valid email addresses for your references as they will be emailed the reference form. We do not accept family members or friends as references. As soon as you submit your application, your references are emailed the reference form from firstname.lastname@example.org Notify your references to fill out the reference form as soon as possible
- You are responsible for monitoring the return of completed reference surveys. To do so, log into your AppliTrack account and click on the references section. References that are listed as "Incomplete" have not been returned and may require additional follow up from you. Add more references as needed.
- Once you have at least three professional references returned, you need to call HR to schedule orientation. Pre-registration is REQUIRED. Please call (907) 452-2000 ext. 11326 or ext. 11381 to sign up for the next orientation.
- Complete the electronic background check that will be emailed to you.
- Attend the 2 hour orientation.
- All substitute and temporary employees must be fingerprinted at the time of orientation. The fingerprints cost $47.00. Payment can be cash, check or money order; credit/debit cards are not accepted at this time.
Bring the following items to orientation:
- Appropriate identification for the I9 Form is required (Acceptable Identification)
- A voided check, deposit slip, or letter from your bank showing your routing number, account number, and name.
- $47.00 for fingerprinting payable by cash, check, or money order
***Temporary employment includes but is not limited to the following positions: kindergarten aide, instructional kindergarten aide, classroom aide, recess aide, break aide, after school program instructor, tutor, language interpreter, translator, coaches, intern students, practicum students
Retired Employees interested in substitute or temporary work, please contact Human Resources at (907) 452-2000 ext. 11326 or ext. 11381 to request a Reactivation Packet. Please note the Reactivation Packet ONLY applies to regular (i.e. non-temporary) employees who have resigned or retired in the last six months.
*Not Sure Where To Report For Your Sub Job? MAP OF SCHOOLS
*Before reporting to Ft. Wainwright or Eielson AFB, be sure that you have filled out the electronic Military Access Form and obtain a Pass at the Visitor Center at least ONE HOUR before your job starts.
*Effective February 6, 2017:
Alaska State Certified Substitute Teachers will be paid $20.00 per hour for daily TEACHER assignments. All other sub/temp rates of pay remain the same.
*Effective January 1, 2017:
The qualifications to be a substitute teacher will change to an Associate's Degree or 48 college credits. Previously, a Bachelor's Degree was required. If you are a new applicant, please attach your trancripts to your online application.
Current employees, please obtain your transcripts and contact Bri Dryver to be activated as a sub.