In-Lieu of Transportation Reimbursement
In accordance with 4 AAC 27.032, a district may establish agreements with parents to provide reimbursement for transporting their children to the nearest attendance center or bus pickup in place of extending an existing route or establishing a new route.
- The student must reside more than one and one-half (1.5) miles from the nearest bus stop or the school. In most cases, reimbursement will be made for travel to the nearest bus stop.
- Reimbursements may not exceed 100 miles daily.
- Reimbursement is based on actual miles traveled, and NOT the number of students transported.
- Reimbursement is contingent on student attendance (If the student is absent, reimbursement will not be issued for that day).
- Reimbursement is for students attending an attendance area school. Students attending schools of choice do not qualify. Students who reside outside the attendance area of their school do not qualify.
Applying for In-Lieu of Transportation Reimbursement:
- Check your bus stop. If you believe you qualify for In-Lieu reimbursement, please complete the following form for each student you are applying for.
- Once we receive your request, we will check your eligibility. If you qualify, we will mail you an agreement that must be completed and returned. If you do not qualify, we will contact you with the reason you do not.
- Payments will be issued following the end of each quarter.
- If bus service is extended to the point where your student no longer qualifies for In-Lieu reimbursement, the agreement will end.