COVID Relief Grants
Beginning with the CARES Act in March 2020, Congress passed three COVID relief bills, which included funds for educational institutions to address the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. In total, Congress allocated Alaska more than $620 million for education through the following COVID relief funds:
- Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
- Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER I)
- Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Fund (GEER)
- Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act and Elementary & Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER II) Fund
- American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act and the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) Fund
View the Alaska School District COVID relief plans at the Alaska Education Grants Management System and refer to these instructions:
- Step 1: Go to the Alaska Education Grants Management System https://gms.education.alaska.gov/.
- Step 2: On the left-hand side of the screen, find the blue navigation bar. Hover over Search to show additional options. Click on Grants.
- Step 3: 2022 should be the default selection in the Fiscal Year drop down. Select COVID Relief as the Funding Application.
- Step 4: Select ARP Act: ESSER III in the Grants dropdown.
- Step 5: Click Search. The districts that meet the search criteria will populate below the search fields. Please note, only applications that have been formally approved by the Alaska Department of Education & Early Development (DEED) will populate.
- Step 6: Click on the name of the school district you wish to view.
- Step 7: Hover on the blue Go To button. Scroll to ARP Act: ESSER III and hover. Click on Program Details to view the district’s ARP plan. Please do not use your browser’s back button. Please use the Go To bar to navigate to another section of the application.
- Step 8: To view the district’s budget, hover on the blue Go To button. Hover on ARP Act: ESSER III and then click on Budget. Please note that only approved activities for the current fiscal year are displayed. If you’d like to view budgets from a prior fiscal year, please restart your search and select 2020 or 2021 from the Fiscal Year drop down and then look for CARES or CRRSA applications.
If you have any questions, please reach out directly to the school district or to DEED at DEED.CARES@Alaska.gov.