Innovations will continue to take applications over the summer and will contact families early August regarding placement.
Innovations is a districtwide program. Any high school student in the district may apply.
Innovations Academy was created to provide students a different pathway to completing their graduation requirements. Our goal is to create a community that meets the educational needs and unique learning styles of our students and re-engages students through a personalized approach to learning.
What Innovations offers our students:
- Small class sizes (20:1 student: teacher ratio)
- Self-paced classes
- Blended learning model (blend of online and face-to-face learning experiences)
- Credit recovery options
- Social/emotional supports
- Student choice in content delivery and assessment
- Individual weekly meeting with mentor teacher for student reflection and goal setting
- Involvement in community-based projects, life skills lessons and wellness practices
Students will be expected to attend Innovations Academy each day with the school day starting at 8:45am and ending at 2:15pm. Students will be scheduled for specific classes in PowerSchool and will need to attend those classes at the scheduled times. Students arriving at Lathrop prior to 8:45 each day will have the opportunity to take a Lathrop elective (during Lathrop’s period 1, based on space availability) or work independently in a designated area during that morning time.
Each student is assigned a mentor teacher at Innovations Academy who they are required to meet with weekly. Mentor teachers work with students on setting daily and weekly goals and working through barriers to learning. Mentor teachers communicate regularly with parents/guardians.
What to Expect:
- Students will meet in their scheduled classes throughout the week. Students must follow their set schedule.
- Focus of course content will be on competency: classes are self-paced, but students must make continual progress to remain in the program.
- A variety of learning methods will be used including digital coursework, small group work, team work, and individualized instruction.
- There is no daily homework (students can take work home if they wish to work at a faster pace).
- No zeroes are entered in the gradebook.
- Assignments and attendance will be entered in Powerschool so that students and families can be continually informed of progress.
- Students have opportunity to complete classes at an accelerated pace by working diligently and demonstrating mastery of key course competencies.
- Each student is assigned a mentor teacher. At weekly mentor meetings mentors help students set learning goals and reflect on course progress.
- Majority of elective options will be available through Innovations. There is some opportunity for accessing Lathrop electives on a case by case basis.
- All students will be assigned a Chromebook to use for online portions of instruction.
- Innovations classrooms will be cell phone free zones. Students will be expected to keep phones in their lockers during class time.
How do I get into the program?
Innovations caps their enrollment at 80 students each year. We are currently accepting applications for the 2020-2021 school year: 2020-2021 Innovations Academy Application
Questions? Call Lathrop and speak with a counselor, Principal Sween, or Asst. Principal Kang.