What educational options are available for my child this year?
Learning options: The FNSBSD will be offering three options for the 2021-22 school year: In-person, eLearning, and BEST homeschool. These options are available for all students, K-12.
- In-Person Learning: FNSBSD will be returning to a more familiar pre-pandemic look and feel throughout our schools. Social distancing and cohorting will no longer be required with instruction taking place face to face in classrooms. Masks are not required, but may be worn by anyone wishing to do so.
2. eLearning:Instruction will take place online led by a district teacher and students will learn at home.
- Elementary (K-6) level, the district is reopening the K-6 eLearning lottery to accommodate families interested in this learning option. Applications can be submitted through the Centralized Application Portal (CAP).
- eLearning could be a great fit for your family if you’re looking for the following:
- A flexible learning schedule for your student and your family with an educational experience from the comfort of your own home
- A district, certified teacher who oversees curriculum, instruction, and feedback for your student
- Access to the district content and materials your student knows and loves
- Maintaining a connection with your child’s home attendance area school of record in order to receive services or participate in extracurricular activities.
- A hybrid educational experience where your student can take classes at their high school as well as from the comfort of their own home
- A blend of asynchronous learning and real time, synchronous opportunities
- A more consistent learning environment after the Board’s decision to not require masks in Fall of 2021
- BEST Homeschool: Fairbanks Building Educational Success Together (BEST) is a K-12 school without walls where parents bear the primary responsibility for the management of their children’s education. BEST is committed to a framework in which the home is supported by the community as a viable educational alternative. BEST is a partnership between students, parents, professional staff, and community members where families and staff work together to customize an education for their children. Learn more & enroll today! https://www.k12northstar.org/domain/4216
For more information contact: Yumi McCulloch, Director of Public Relations, (907) 452-2000 Ext.11438, email@example.com
What if my child needs a Chromebook or iPad for E-learning?
Nordale will provide each child a device that needs one if they are enrolled as an eLearning student. You will be required to sign a Device Checkout AUP before a device is issued.
We’re pleased to announce the district has started the process of restoring bus routes back to full service due to an increase of trained drivers starting Monday, November 1st. Though the majority of bus routes will continue using the rotating schedule of one week on and one week off, this is a small step towards all routes returning to full service.
As a result, starting Monday, October 11, 2021, all bus routes will be placed on a suspension rotation list every other week for the foreseeable future. We are hopeful that this will help alleviate some of the last minute cancellations that families and schools are dealing with in the recent weeks.
The Fairbanks North Star Borough School District is pleased to announce it has contracted with Beacon Occupational Health and Safety to expand COVID-19 testing availability for district students and employees.
The Fairbanks North Star Borough School District Board of Education voted 5-2 in favor of requiring masks for the first semester. Mandatory masks will go into effect on Monday, September 13, 2021.
Beginning Monday, August 30, 2021, the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District and Durham are suspending some bus routes, on a rotating basis. This is due to the labor shortage that is affecting our community as well as other Alaska school districts and businesses nationwide. Families will need to find alternative transportation based on the schedule below.